Why do full moons last the longest
Highest full moon of the yearThe longest night of the highest moon
On Tuesday (December 29th, 2020) the moon will be in the constellation Gemini, near the border with Taurus - exactly in the region where the sun is at the beginning of summer.
Tonight the full moon is in the constellation Gemini (Stellarium)
A team led by planetologist Shuai Li from the University of Hawaii has now discovered hematite, a mineral made from oxidized iron, on the moon. The researcher speaks casually of "rust" on the moon, which guarantees a great media response.
However, there is no fear that the moon will rust before our eyes. The mineral occurs only in negligibly small traces in the polar regions of the moon. The discovery was made with spectroscopic data from a NASA instrument on the Indian probe Chandrayaan-1, which flew to the moon in 2008.
Strongly exaggerated representation of the "rusty" hematite areas on the moon (Shuai Li, Univ. Of Hawaii / NASA)
It is unclear where the oxygen for the formation of the hematite comes from. The moon is bone dry and has very few water molecules in the surface material. It is possible that oxygen from the upper atmosphere of the earth reaches the moon whenever it moves through the earth's magnetic tail around the full moon.
That’s the case again tonight. Perhaps even now oxygen from the earth hits the polar regions of the moon, which causes the iron in the dust to oxidize. Tomorrow morning the moon will be slightly more "rusty" than it was tonight. If the moon rises or sets glowing red, this is not due to the hematite, but to the earth's atmosphere.
- Why do cats pee on your body?
- Why does Athena feel bad for Odysseus?
- Can I get weeds in Qingdao?
- How's the weather at BITS Pilani
- Should be refrigerated peanut butter
- How should the Avengers film series end
- Why does rain sound neurologically calming?
- Is 0x the future of cryptocurrency exchange
- Does the test work with clean drinks?
- What is the Django Framework
- What are the characteristics of a Lovecraftian world?
- Can simulate anger, luck
- What is the purpose of studying psychology
- How can we learn for free
- How do I restore contacts to HTC One
- What things are eternal
- What is meant by US hegemony?
- How bad is terrorism in Israel
- What are the true colors of things
- What are traps in SNMP
- What are stomach cramps
- What is the evolutionary basis of superstition
- How do I delete criminal records
- What does TTV
- How does yeast reproduce asexually?
- Can you dress up like a goth?
- Causes masturbation to tear bags
- Why are people still using Microsoft Edge
- What is lacquer wood
- What is Green Screen Technology
- What is a public-private school
- What is wrapper methods in c net
- What do you think about evolution