How does Facebook implement Agile Scrum
How do you lead your marketing team in an agile way?
Recently, companies have faced a very unexpected change in the way they organize their work - suddenly everything is online and there is a need to find a way to continue working remotely. But how?
Moving to a digital work environment can be challenging, especially if you have to lead the team.
How can you ensure that you organize your team efficiently even in times of uncertainty? How do you best organize yourself and your marketing team?
Nexoya has been using an agile working method in the form of sprints in its marketing team for more than a year and has already achieved great results and greater efficiency during this time.
This article is based on the webinar that nexoya held recently. In this roundup, we will give you tips on how to use agile organizational methods in marketing, what could be a challenge, and why this type of organization is ideal for remote work. Additionally, we'll share our insights on how introducing this methodology can make your marketing team more efficient and better coordinated.
You will learn more about:
- Forms of agile organization
- Transforming into an agile and remote marketing team
- Advantages of an agile methodology implementation
- Useful tools for agile work
The full webinar video is available here:
What are the forms of agile organization?
An agile organization is a project organization that can react quickly to unexpected changes, opportunities and events in the market or in the environment. Such an organizational form enables swarm intelligence, which is why the effectiveness proves to be superior.
The most popular methods of agile organizations are Kanban and Scrum.
Both Scrum and Kanban are iterative work systems that are based on process flows and aim to reduce waste and increase effectiveness.
In this picture you can see the main differences between these two methods.
As you can see, Scrum implies more structure: roles, tasks and the cycle duration are fixed. A cycle is called a sprint in SCRUM. In this example, a sprint lasts two weeks.
According to the Scrum guidelines, the sprint duration should be limited to one calendar month, i.e. four weeks. While the minimum sprint duration is one week.
In contrast, as you can see, Kanban is a fairly flexible work system. The roles and tasks can easily be assigned. No schedule is defined. In addition, the Kanban methodology allows changes to be made at any time.
The Kanban methodology helps to easily visualize work processes by dividing the work process into smaller steps. For example, the simplest Kanban board can have three main columns:
- To Do (Tasks That Need To Be Done)
- Work in Progress (WIP) (tasks that are already in progress)
- Done (completed tasks)
Further columns can be added later if necessary (e.g. "Review", "Pending", etc.).
The implementation of the Kanban methodology helps to easily follow the work process and to identify bottlenecks within the system more quickly.
Let's take a closer look at the Scrum framework.
Key elements of the Scrum methodology
The scrum methodology introduces three main elements: planning, daily scrum (or standup), and retro perspective.
The main goal of this stage is to plan the next sprint (2-4 weeks).
The agenda for Scrum Planning:
- Availability of the individual team members for the next sprint (h / days per person)
- Business plan
- Backlog / planning
Backlog is a prepared list of tasks that the employees have seen in the “Pre-planning” (prepared by the Marketing Manager or “Product Manager”).
2. Standup (or daily Scrum)
Standup is a 15-minute meeting where everyone on your team briefly tells what has been done in the last 24 hours, what the plan is for today and what any blockers are.
The stand-up is carried out at the same time in the same place every day. The participation of the entire team is required.
- General information
- What was done yesterday
- What is being done today:
This is a very important phase that should not be skipped.
The main objectives are:
- To celebrate what we achieved in the last sprint
- Discover system errors, receive feedback and optimize
The procedure is:
- Official part (updates)
- Anonymous part: Obtaining feedback (give 5 minutes and then go through it together)
Conversion to an agile and remote marketing team
Here are the most important tips on how to implement the agile working method:
- Show a clear structure
It is very important to have a clear and specific structure. A Scrum framework requires strong management discipline. It can also be done with the assistance of a Scrum Master.
- Organized & clear communication
It is important to clarify:
- How and when is communication taking place (e.g. stand-up at a fixed time and place)
- "How it should be done, not just what". It is normal for the team to take some time to get used to the new approach.
- Management by results
The key to a successful and efficient work organization is the clear focus on "getting better". That means regular analysis and improvement.
- build up trust
There is no doubt that management plays an important role in any organization. It particularly affects remote teams, where face-to-face (F2F) sessions via video chat are more important than ever.
Stay in touch with your team. Celebrating small achievements is extremely important (new client, completed task, demos upon graduation, etc.).
- team spirit
Working remotely implies a certain degree of isolation: the team members feel "isolated" from one another. Therefore, informal meetings or chats are extremely important: e.g. an unofficial chat in your work area, a cook chat or a virtual beer / lunch meeting.
It is important to understand that the transformation process can take some time and the expected results may not be achieved in a month or two.
Typically, you will spend three to four months making adjustments in the process to tailor the method to your team.
Benefits of implementing an agile working method
The agile working method has many advantages, among others
- Providing a clear picture, overview of all tasks
- Transparent assignment of tasks
- The sense of responsibility increases
- Initiative increases
- Greater efficiency
- Agile simplifies remote work extremely
According to the latest report on the state of agile marketing, 74% of agile marketers declare high job satisfaction compared to 58% of marketers who continue to work traditionally.
Useful tools for agile work
A list of useful tools to help you organize your work more efficiently and become more agile at the same time:
- Whereby: for organizing online meetings
- Gitlab, Asana: for project management and Scrum board
- Slack: for internal communication with your colleagues
- Funretro: for the fun retrospective
- Miro: online whiteboard
Find out more about agile work organization in marketing by watching the free webinar (link in the form).
Learn more about campaign optimization and tips on how to increase the performance of your Facebook advertising.
Access to our
✓ Dozens of templates for data-driven marketers
✓ Expert tips on how to improve your marketing
✓ Checklists and instructions for campaign optimization
✓ Best tools for AI in marketing
✓ Recorded webinars
- What does the endocannabinoid system do
- Will Egypt be a world empire again
- What if the space race never happened
- Why is Islam so divisive
- What is the feminine term for Gym Bro
- What are uplifting music
- What is a bastard
- Is the final exam and the state exam the same
- What is the password for PDF files
- When was the Union Pacific Railroad completed
- How do I cool a water pump
- What is your point of view of knowledge
- What animal is good for vastu shastra
- Builders continue to build underground houses
- Which topics of mathematics are there in BBA
- What good is it to impress others?
- Why do people smurf on video games
- What is your opinion on Chainlink Crypto
- What is peritectic steel
- When is it okay to curate content?
- Is it still worth learning Android development?
- How did you fight depression
- Where did Frank Lowy come from
- What are some hydrogen peroxide hacks
- How heavy is your cat and why
- What are your favorite Korean fiction books
- Likes China Germany
- What do Singaporeans think of Mexicans?
- What is the name of the phobia of the chairs
- Who pays for a land survey
- Do you believe minority privileges exist?
- What did Jesus mean by meek?
- What is happening in the Bitcoin markets
- Asking decreases self-esteem