How can I lower my water bill
How can you save water?
In German households around 120-190 liters of tap water are used per person every day. In addition, there is the energy consumption for heating the water when heating, showering, washing up and washing clothes, because around a quarter of the water we use is warm water. If you want to do something good for the environment and save money at the same time, it is advisable to limit your water consumption. This lowers your water and energy costs as well as CO₂ emissions.
In fact, saving water in the household is not that difficult. We have put together a few tips for you that can make a difference - even if you only implement one or two of them.If the water bill is higher than expected again, you ask yourself the question, "How can I save water" and take action. If you also install a water meter and check it at regular intervals, you can avoid surprises when the next bill comes up.
Do you use washing powder, detergent capsules or liquid detergent to wash your clothes?
Saving water - tips for the household
- Fix leaky faucets and cisterns. The steady dripping causes more water to be lost than you would think!
- Bring your toilet flush up to date. Modern cisterns have a water stop button or two buttons for short and long flush cycles, so they only use as much water as is absolutely necessary. You can retrofit old toilet flushes with a water stop.
- If you take a quick shower instead of taking a full bath, you can also save water. The shower consumes 15 liters per minute, while a full bath swallows around 140 liters.
- A water-saving shower head or jet regulator can save up to 50 percent water consumption.
- When buying a new appliance, such as a washing machine or dishwasher, make sure they are water efficient.
- If possible, wash dishes in the dishwasher, as more water is used when washing thoroughly by hand than with a wash cycle - even if the machine is fully loaded.
- Always load your washing machine full if possible. Of course, you shouldn't overload them, as doing so can prevent your laundry from being washed thoroughly enough and damage the machine.
- Avoid using high pressure washers as they use up to 500 liters per hour. Instead, use a mop or scrubber and a bucket of hot water.
- Wash fruits and vegetables in a bowl and use the wastewater to water your house plants.
Saving water - tips for the garden and the car
- Always water your plants early in the morning or in the evening, but not at noon, as the midday sun allows the water to evaporate - sometimes even before it has reached the ground. This will also prevent your plants from burning.
- Hook the soil regularly - preferably before watering. This way the water reaches the roots of the plants faster.
- Cover the soil around your plants with mulch, compost, or clippings. This keeps the soil cooler and moist longer on warm days. It also makes it difficult for weeds to grow.
- To avoid having to water your lawn all the time, it helps not to mow it every week or it will dry out faster.
- A drip hose is more efficient than a lawn sprinkler when it comes to watering lawns. This is due to the fact that water lingers on the blades of grass when it is sprinkled and can therefore evaporate more quickly. A drip hose, on the other hand, guides the water directly into the ground.
- Install a rain barrel or tank to collect valuable rainwater that you can use to water the plants.
- Don't wash your car more often than necessary. If you go to the car wash every now and then, make sure that it has been certified with the Blue Angel. This means that your washing water is used several times and pollutants are separated.
Saving water in the household is not a science. The next time friends and family ask you how you minimized your water bill, tell them about the water stop in the toilet, the water-saving shower head, or the other little tips and tricks you can use to save your wallet and the environment!
Never miss the latest tips and tricks again
- Which shampoo is best for damaged hair
- Which is harder Java or NET
- What are the priority queue operations
- Is the universe already over?
- What is the most peaceful place to travel
- There are solar powered refrigerators
- What do you mean by rubber tiles
- It is difficult to prove an unlawful termination
- Is it hard to be black
- Why does friction generate heat
- Is it more efficient to write in italics?
- What is the monitor with the highest available resolution
- How do you rate Japan objectively
- What does nirgun mean
- What is your evaluation of Reiki
- What is a wall sticker
- Is it worth selling OneCoin investments now
- What is a cyber system
- Why do people want Chromebooks
- What does the VHDL error 10500
- What are the effects of endorphins
- What is a CRM Investment
- How do dissociative symptoms affect memory?
- 140 80 is an abnormal blood pressure
- When was climate change first reported?
- How Dronacharya becomes the Guru of the Kauravas Pandavas
- September is an interesting month
- Why is there karma
- How often do teenagers jerk off
- What is Kapil Dev known for?
- What music reduces your anxiety
- Where is Tunday Kababi
- How did Japan conquer most of Asia
- Why do some people behave like martyrs