Why is leading a team so challenging
The management of the day care center has a special role in the team. The kindergarten director takes on special tasks in the facility, such as personnel management or public relations. At the same time, the management usually has a double role in the team: on the one hand in the position of manager and on the other hand as a team member. In some cases, this can be a tightrope walk. It is not always easy to meet the diverse requirements.
What tasks does the daycare team take on?
A team leader has a special position in the daycare center. The manager is responsible for all matters relating to the facility. Regardless of whether it is about the children, the equipment of the daycare center or the personnel policy: Ultimately, the management must make important decisions for the development of the entire facility and represent them accordingly to the outside world.
Depending on the size of the daycare center, the manager may no longer work operationally. This means that the work in the group is no longer a priority or even takes a back seat. Because the management has to take on representative and superordinate tasks in particular, there is less or no time at all for normal everyday life with the children. These overarching tasks include:
- Monitoring of educational standards: Is the legal educational mandate being kept? Do the children get all the important educational areas taught?
- Coordination of Teamworkin daycare: Leaders in the kindergarten are the first point of contact for the educators when it comes to professional as well as personal matters.
- HR work: Managers in the day-care center design and coordinate duty and vacation plans. Another important point is team development. The day-care center management keeps an eye on educational opportunities for further training for the educators. The team-building measures are also often initiated by the manager.
- public relation: The kindergarten management represents the daycare externally - for example to the parents or the institution responsible for the facility. In this way, it ensures the institution's image.
The kindergarten management must therefore primarily take care of the cooperation of the whole team: This is how the management selects suitable personnel for the facility. It is also part of the day-to-day business of a manager to delegate tasks and to promote and hold the entire team together. Be it by taking care of team development, mediating conflicts between employees or simply taking on day-to-day administrative tasks.
Why is the job of a manager so challenging, especially in daycare?
Especially in the Position as Kita manager can create tension arise. Since the manager often not only takes on managerial tasks, but in most cases also appears as a team member in everyday, educational work with the children, conflicts can arise with other team members or the parents.
Performing management tasks: potential for conflict in the team
The transition between the role of manager and team member is not always easy. The problem is that the daycare management on the one hand as "Normal" The kindergarten teacher takes on the daily tasks with the children. On the other hand, the manager also gives instructions and makes important decisions. This does not always take place in consultation with the entire team, but possibly only on the instructions of the provider. This harbors potential for conflict.
If the management of a daycare center is not perceived by the other employees in the role of a manager, this can lead to serious problems. The So there is a challenge for the team leadership in combining collegial behavior and leadership skills - while remaining approachable at the same time.
In order to master this challenge, it can make sense for the team leader not only to continue their pedagogical training. Among other things by special seminarsthat convey the basics of leadership work. In these training courses you can learn the methods of good team leadership.
Representing educational decisions externally
Like all other executives, it is up to the management of a daycare center to take responsibility for their team. This is even more sensitive in the social area than in other industries: educational decisions are not always easy to make. Sometimes parents feel insecure or even angry about the behavior or assessment of a team member. Especially when it comes to development deficits, conflicts between daycare and parents are not uncommon.
In such cases the motto is: Stay diplomatic. Initially seek a conversation with your colleague and the parent individually. Each point of view usually has its justification and should be taken into account. If possible, it is up to the manager to mediate. If there is no other way, a three-person conversation is a good idea. Here the daycare management has an intermediary position. Ultimately, it is about the best possible development of the children.
Tips: What distinguishes good team leadership?
Many educators slip into the position of a manager - without being prepared for the challenges involved in their training. Most of the time it is called: learning by doing. But there are some aspects that make management tasks and everyday life as a manager in the daycare easier:
- Good time management: Since the management work entails additional work, it is essential to: divide the time sensibly! Because time management is one of the most important things to learn. Otherwise important tasks will be left by the wayside - and so will you in the long run.
- Ability to delegate: Good time management also includes the ability to delegate. Less urgent tasks can be passed on to colleagues, while the manager takes on those tasks that only they can do. Specifically, this means: hand over the weekly planning for the next few months to your colleagues, but prepare the discussion with the parents' council and the agency yourself.
- Honest and transparent communication: Open communication in the daycare team is essential, especially for educational professionals in daycare centers. Because they stand between the chairs. It is therefore very important for them to clearly communicate their position to their colleagues.
Following on from the point above, it is particularly in the Dual role It is essential that the line between the position of a colleague and that of a superior is clearly drawn. Because conflicts arise less often when employees know that a decision was made as a manager - and not as a colleague.
Everyday work in team management: How can team meetings be organized in a meaningful way?
An important task of the team leader is the direct cooperation with the employees of the day care center, which often happens in joint appointments: be it in team meetings or one-on-one meetings. Which conversation format is better always depends on the conversation intention and the size of the kindergarten team.
In a very large college it is sometimes difficult for everyone to have their say in a team meeting. Nevertheless, it is important that all team members meet at regular intervals - for example every 14 days - to discuss the most important aspects of cooperation and work in the day-care center:
Insists on such Group jour fixe If there is still a need for discussion between individual employees, this can also be discussed in a small team meeting or a one-on-one conversation.
The kindergarten management has an elementary task in team or individual discussions: She has to prepare and follow up the meetings and of course also lead them. This means that she designs the meeting plan and makes sure that it is adhered to in the meeting. Otherwise it can quickly happen that a meeting gets out of hand: In order to conduct a target-oriented discussion, it is important that clear boundaries are set.
Besides, it has to a protocol at the end of the conversation give that captures and summarizes the most important decisions of the meeting. The moderator - usually the team leader - takes on a short reproduction of the content at the end of the group meeting. Then all team members have an overview of how to proceed or future appointments. In terms of delegation, it makes sense to entrust a colleague with the task of logging.
Editorial office of the Prokita-Portal
- Who is the best football player today?
- Why are INTPs always tired
- What kind of little children does everyone do
- Which companies are researching in the field of renewable energies?
- How are politicians involved in bribery
- Biomedical technology is male dominated
- What is forensic research
- What is medicine 10
- Should I Trust McAfee SiteAdvisor software
- How do you say troublemaker in Turkish?
- Can someone become a bodybuilder
- What is the rating of CNN
- My life is really messed up help
- How would you rate Qatar Airline
- Is it possible to see alternative universes?
- When was your internship offered?
- How do lighting rounds work with artillery
- Why is average intelligence common
- What is Kanye West's Most Likely Type of MBTI
- What is a threatening aura
- What is Patanjali Spirulina
- Could God actually be a universal supercomputer?
- Which is the correct English
- How do I become personable