Sweet potatoes are good for cats
Foods that are toxic to cats
The temptation to give something to the cat from the table is often great. But the following applies to some foods: What is a great pleasure for us can be dangerous for the cat even in small quantities
These foods do not belong in the bowl
Many foods pose significant health risks for cats and under no circumstances do they belong in the cat's bowl.
The substance theobromine contained in chocolate belongs to the group of methylxanthines and has a stimulating effect on the human organism. However, cats cannot break down this substance. It accumulates in the blood and leads to symptoms of intoxication. Signs of theobromine poisoning are restlessness, muscle tremors, vomiting, and diarrhea. These symptoms appear up to four hours after consuming foods that contain cocoa. The decisive factor is the type and amount of chocolate consumed. Because theobromine is even fatal for cats in high doses!
The harmful theobromine is also found in coffee. And caffeine is also one of the methylxanthines that cats cannot break down. The toxin accumulates in the cat's organism and endangers its health.
Coffee contains two highly dangerous substances. © shutterstock / WindNight
At a dose of 80 milligrams per kilogram of body weight, caffeine can be fatal for cats. To illustrate: 100 milliliters of coffee already contain 60-100 milligrams of caffeine. Caffeine poisoning manifests itself in palpitations, muscle tremors and cramps, vomiting and diarrhea.
The cat is unlikely to slobber whiskey and wine. Egg and cream liqueurs as well as pralines filled with alcohol are interesting for cats, because the fat they contain is very tempting for them. But even the smallest amount of ethanol in alcoholic beverages can cause alcohol poisoning in a cat. Coordination difficulties, stomach problems and liver damage are the result. Theobromine additionally intensifies the toxic effect of the ethanol. Chocolates with alcohol filling are particularly dangerous for cats.
Onions, chives and Co.
The sulfur compounds contained in onions and onion plants trigger in high doses in cats a destruction of the red blood cells. If larger quantities are consumed, vomiting, diarrhea, gastric mucosal irritation and anemia occur. Onions are "hidden" in many foods such as sachet soups, baby food, spice mixes, sauces, marinades and convenience foods. It goes without saying that such products should not end up in the cat's bowl.
Large quantities of onions can cause anemia in cats. © shutterstock.com / OlgaBarteshevich
Many a house tiger also likes to nibble on chives due to the lack of cat grass. Stop this by offering suitable green fodder such as cat grass or cat herbs.
There are some foods in the vegetable drawer that can be harmful to cats. This includes:
- Tomatoes, Potatoes and Eggplants: Immature or raw nightshade plants are just as indigestible for cats as they are for humans.
- Legumes and cabbage: Difficult to digest for the cat's stomach.
- Swiss chard, beetroot, sweet potatoes, parsley: Due to the high oxal content, these vegetables encourage the formation of oxalate stones in the bladder.
- Avocado: The persin contained in avocados triggers gastrointestinal complaints, can lead to the formation of edema and damage the heart muscle.
For cats who like to nibble on vegetables, carrots, zucchini or cucumber are suitable as a crunchy and healthy snack.
Grapes and raisins
Excessive consumption of grapes and raisins is harmful to the cat and leads to vomiting, stomach pain, diarrhea, high calcium levels and kidney failure. Although such cases have been documented less frequently in cats than in dogs, cats with kidney disease appear to be particularly at risk.
meat and fish
Cats are carnivores. High-quality, animal proteins should always be at the top of your menu. But caution is also advised when feeding meat and fish!
- Pork meat: If the cat eats raw pork, it can become infected with the Aujeszky virus. This is always fatal for cats! In addition, pork can be contaminated with trichinae, tapeworms, salmonella or toxoplasmosis pathogens and, like poultry, should only be fed well cooked.
- Sausages: Smoked, heavily salted or preserved sausage products with benzoic acid impair kidney function and are unsuitable as treats.
- Sea fish: Tuna and the like are often contaminated with toxic mercury. Avoid feeding large amounts on a regular basis. One to two fish meals a week are sufficient and provide healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
The general rule: When feeding meat and fish, bones and bones should be thoroughly removed before serving the meal to your cat. Otherwise there is a risk of serious injuries to the palate, throat and gastrointestinal tract!
Dog food is often cheaper than cat food and many a mistress may be tempted to serve Bello and Mieze the same menu. If the cat nibbles on dog food every now and then, that's not a problem. In the long term, however, such a diet is not recommended, as cats need significantly more protein than dogs and, if this is not taken into account, deficiency symptoms can cease quickly.
Cat ate poisonous food - what to do?
If you suspect that your cat has eaten harmful food or poisonous plants in dangerous quantities, or even recognize the first symptoms, then you should visit the vet as soon as possible! Describe to the veterinarian exactly what foods and products are involved and in what quantities they were consumed. If vomiting or diarrhea has already occurred, it is helpful for the analysis if you bring samples of the vomit or diarrhea with you to the practice.
To avoid such situations, always keep harmful foods and plants out of the reach of cats!
- What makes an effective dialogue
- Where does Manchester water come from
- Where can I learn digital marketing skills
- Is justice really justified
- How many liters are in 2 liters
- What problem does Square Order solve
- Is KitKat halal or haram
- Can you dress up like a goth?
- Why are teenagers so frustrated these days
- What's the best pizza place in Missouri
- How much did the first Bitcoin cost
- Why do invertebrates like millipedes need moisture
- What are the free SEO backlinks tools
- Technologies used in IOT
- Why did John Lennon choose Yoko Ono
- What is NASA World Wind
- Which K-Pop idols are athletic
- How can I stop having bad dreams
- What causes cylinder 4 to misfire
- How are mortality and morals connected?
- What's your favorite song from 2000
- What are homemade conditioners for dry hair
- Why do we get Eye Boogers
- What is the science behind epoxy resin
- Real dolls are worth buying
- Donald Trump will forgive Mike Pence
- The US is importing oil from Libya
- Arabic music was derived from Turkish
- What will Google 1
- What is the new anti-Semitism
- Why are UK plugs different
- How can corruption be stopped in Serbia?
- Swap good or bad