What if neutering dogs were forbidden?
Castration in dogs: you need to know that
Should a dog be neutered or not? Many dog owners ask themselves this question. There is no general answer to this and opinions are quite divided.
In this article we have therefore put together the most important aspects of castration for you. You will learn, among other things, why neutering can be useful, when the procedure should be carried out and what costs you can expect.
Key facts at a glance:
- A castration requires the consent of the veterinarian
- A castration can have an impact on behavior (positive as well as negative)
- The procedure is always more difficult for female dogs than for males
- There are alternatives such as sterilization and chemical castration
Neutering your dog has a number of advantages
Of course, the primary goal of castration is first of all to prevent unwanted reproduction. In addition, there are a number of other advantages that make the procedure equally useful for both male and female dogs.
Advantages of neutering males
- In addition to testicular cancer, neutering can also prevent some diseases of the prostate in males.
- A neutered male is usually calmer and has practically no sex drive.
- The encounter with a bitch in heat is much more relaxed.
However, you shouldn't think that neutering can tame an aggressive male dog. Because while this is often claimed, it doesn't work in practice. If you have problems with your dog in this regard, you should address them with appropriate training instead.
Advantages of castration in bitches
- Castration can prevent suppuration of the uterus (pyometra) in bitches.
- The risk of the formation of tumors in the area of the milk ridge can be significantly reduced by castrating.
- An early castration (no later than the second heat) helps to significantly reduce the risk of breast cancer.
In addition, your bitch will of course not be able to regain heat after the castration. Typical changes in behavior, discharge and bleeding associated with heat will therefore not occur in the future.
When to perform the procedure
In theory, you can have your dog neutered at any time if the vet agrees. In older four-legged friends, however, the risk of complications during the operation increases. A very early castration is only useful in special cases.
Because you have to keep in mind that neutering limits the development of your four-legged friend. In the case of a bitch, this means that if possible, you should wait until she is in heat for the first time. Only then are body and mind sufficiently developed. Depending on the breed, this is the case between half a year and a year old.
The same applies of course to males. If these are neutered too early, this not only slows down their mental and physical development, but often also leads to later aggression problems with the animal. As a rule, you should therefore wait until the first year of life before neutering males.
The cost of neutering your dog
If you want to neuter your dog, it makes sense to ask various veterinarians for an offer. Usually you have to expect an amount between 100 and 400 euros. The exact costs also partly depend on the physique of your four-legged friend. However, gender plays an even bigger role. Because the procedure is much more complex in bitches, so that the costs of a castration are of course higher.
Differences between bitches and dogs
Regardless of the gender of your dog, neutering always serves the same purpose. It robs both the male and the bitch of the ability to reproduce. Bitches have their ovaries removed, while dogs have their testicles removed.
If the bitch is older or has corresponding diseases, the uterus is removed in addition to the ovaries. In general, the operation for a bitch always means more effort and also involves a higher risk.
What does sterilize mean?
The term sterilization is often equated with the castration of female dogs. However, this is wrong. Because sterilization is something completely different and is also an option for males and females.
In contrast to castration, only the egg or spermatic ducts are severed during sterilization. This will keep your dog's sex drive fully intact. However, it can no longer reproduce.
As with us humans, we will of course check in advance whether your dog is fit for surgery. After all, possible complications from diseases and the like must be ruled out. Before the operation, your dog is not allowed to eat for a good 12 hours.
General anesthesia is necessary for the actual procedure. The dose of anesthetic is precisely adjusted depending on the size and expected duration of the operation.
Procedure for neutering a bitch
Before the operation, the cut area must be disinfected and shaved. If your dog's belly is open, the ovaries and uterus are placed in front of the dog so that the ovaries can be removed. The uterus must then be returned to its original position before the abdomen can finally be closed again.
Procedure of neutering the male
Even with males, it is first necessary to shave and disinfect the area in which the operation is to be carried out. This is followed by an incision on the scrotum so that the spermatic cords can be tied off and the testicles can be removed. Once that is done, the wound can be closed again.
In males, the procedure is done after 20 or 30 minutes, while in bitches it can take an hour. It may take another hour or two for the anesthetic to wear off. The sutures can be removed about 10 days after the operation in both sexes. After that, your dog survived everything.
Alternative hormone chip
For male dogs there is a possible alternative to conventional castration with the implantation of a hormone chip. With this method, your dog gets a chip that contains deslorelin placed under his skin on the neck. Deslorelin is similar to the gonadotropin-releasing hormone and ensures that your four-legged friend becomes sterile.
It takes several weeks for the castration chip to take effect. Since the testosterone production is reduced by the steady release of Deslorelin, the chip affects the sex drive of your four-legged friend just like a normal castration.
Chemical castration: the benefits
- The effect lasts between six and twelve months. This allows you to use the hormone chip as a test before an operative castration.
- There is no need for general anesthesia or surgery. Accordingly, complications that can occur are excluded.
- Your dog will be much more relaxed and calmer without surgery.
Chemical castration: the disadvantages
- In light dogs whose weight is less than 10 kilos, the hormone chip often works longer than desired.
- Under certain circumstances, your dog may be permanently incapable of childbearing.
- If your four-legged friend suffers from testicular cancer, the chemical variant is not recommended.
Neutering a dog - our conclusion
In general, something can happen with every surgical procedure. Both the operation itself and general anesthesia always pose a risk. However, since castration is a comparatively small routine procedure, the risk is extremely low. However, incontinence can sometimes occur after the operation (especially in bitches).
Nonetheless, neutering makes sense in most cases. After all, it not only prevents unwanted reproduction but also reduces the risk of various diseases. Ultimately, however, it is of course your personal decision whether you want to have the procedure carried out or not.Take out insurance now
- You can drink bulletproof coffee while fasting
- How is science used in software development
- Why are arctic wolves white
- Where did the Rothschilds come from?
- How do zoos deal with hurricanes
- How is Jamia Hamdard for MBA
- Smoke tobacco
- Enter IIT HSEE in 2018
- What prevents withdrawal
- Creates familiarity with disinterest
- What is science how does it work
- Christians use science
- Is Uber successful in Paris
- Why does TikTok not have a DM function
- BTS is the next direction
- What are Elizabeth Warren's main points
- How do I stop uploading in torrents
- What does an MRI without contrast show
- Can INTJs with children describe their experiences
- Homeopathy is effective in treating neurological disorders
- Great Britain made India poor
- Is quavo a crip
- How are British characters different from Americans?
- Space-time is just a theoretical construct