Is a dead person part of the nostalgia

Rohrbach nostalgia

In addition to the Ernst Heckel company, which mainly supplied conveyor systems all over the world, a second global company was located in Rohrbach. Jansen GmbH delivered fittings all over the world.

The founder of the company Theodor Jansen, Franz Keuth sen. opened a technical office in Saarbrücken - St. Johann in the last decade of the 19th century. One dealt with the planning and execution of factories, waterworks and electricity plants. Franz Keuth still had representatives from various German plants, in particular manufacturers of fittings. The increasing demand for these workpieces prompted him to manufacture valves in his own company.

He associated himself with the engineer Adolf Zenner and founded a company with him in Saarbrücken am Kieselhumes. To do this, they acquired a factory site of 15,000 square meters. The new factory began in the autumn of 1903 and included a metal foundry, a turning shop, a locksmith's shop and a house for an office and warehouse. In March 1904, production started with 25 employees. An iron foundry with a cupola furnace was added to the metal foundry in 1908. In the middle of the upward trend that had begun, the death of the founder Franz Keuth fell in 1910. In the meantime, Adolf Zenner had also left. Franz Keuth jun. took over the management of the company and now operated under the name Rheinische Armaturen- und Maschinenfabrik "RAM". The development was interrupted by the First World War. After the World War, the company was forced to open up a new market in Lorraine, Alsace and the rest of France due to the separation of the Saar region from Germany. The increasing sales in France prompted the company's management to expand the plant. At the same time, it was decided to include valves with larger nominal widths in production. "RAM" became an important company in the construction of iron and steel fittings. The company logo, which symbolizes a valve, was created from the first letters of this name, "RAM".

Since the company lacked a siding, consideration was given to relocating the plant. In 1930, the current site in Rohrbach was acquired directly on the Saarbrücken - Homburg railway line. After the Saar was reintegrated to Germany in 1935, market difficulties arose again. A comprehensive renovation of the plant and a new regulation of ownership became necessary. The shareholders' meeting at the end of 1935 increased the share capital through the company Zimmermann & Jansen in Düren and Theodor Jansen was appointed managing director.

On the day Theodor Jansen took over the management of the company, a time of intensive rationalization and facility expansions began. the unusually bad condition of the building facilities in Rohrbach, the necessary repairs to the sidings and many other necessary things caused enormous costs. Theodor Jansen has steadily deepened the purely human relationships with his employees through personal endeavors to deal with the smallest things and has done everything in the following years to strengthen these ties between management and workforce. The spatial separation of the workshops between Saarbrücken and Rohrbach had an inhibiting effect on the conduct of business. Nevertheless, by 1936, production in the iron foundry had increased by 50%.

Due to the events of the war, production was partially relocated to Düren, until the entire plant in Rohrbach was merged in January 1940. At the shareholders' meeting on August 16, 1943, the previous company name was changed to “Th. Jansen GmbH "changed. On higher orders, the plant was shut down in 1944 due to the heavy air raids and relocated to Ingolstadt.

After the end of the war, the relocation back to Rohrbach began, but a large part of the foundry equipment and machines had been lost. Production started with 65 employees. You could quickly gain a foothold again on the French market.

In particular, new designs of ironworks fittings and an expansion of the range ensured a rapid upward development. The number of employees grew to 470 in 1953. In 1955, a fittings factory was acquired in Rethel (Ardennes) in France, which was also intended to be a permanent link between the Rohrbach plant and the French customer base. Due to a program adjustment, gate valves and non-return valves up to 350 mm were no longer manufactured.

New designs for blast furnaces and fittings for oil refineries have been developed and successfully manufactured. A special valve, which at that time could be found in all stations of our local gas companies, came from the development department of the Jansen company.

In 1965 the Rethel plant was closed and relocated to Forbach in Lorraine. However, only trading and sales took place there.

The death of the sole managing director Theodor Jansen on July 15, 1964 was a great loss for the plant. From 1950 to 1954, Theodor Jansen was also President of the Saarland Chamber of Commerce and Industry. His efforts to achieve understanding between France and Germany were significant milestones on the path of his personal and professional life. He was also a popular boss with his workforce from a social point of view. He was a member and sponsor of many Rohrbach clubs. In 1949 he built the two apartment blocks in today's Blücherstraße for his employees, just called the “Jansen houses” in Rohrbacher parlance.

The scout home of the Wikinger group in Pfeifferwald was named Theodor Jansen Heim and was inaugurated just a few days after his death in July 1964. He was the financier of this facility.

The history of the Theodor Jansen company continues

This article was produced with the kind support of Friedel Pfeifer, Erich Wagner, Doris Abel, Horst Diehl, Peter Ringwald and Stefan Groh. Details were taken from various corporate and commemorative publications from the Theodor Jansen company.

I like it:

LikeLoading ...
1940 - 1949, 1950 - 1959, 1960 - 1969, 1970 - 1979, 1980 - 1989, General, Rohrbacher citizens, company Adolf Zenner, Franz Keuth, Friedel Pfeifer, Peter Ringwald, Stefan Groh, Theodor Jansen