How many people died on earth
How many people have ever lived on earth?
We don't know for sure, but estimates put 90 to 110 billion people. Sometimes one comes across the rumor that because of the population explosion, more than half of all people who have ever lived are now alive. Thats not right. Assuming that around 100 billion people have lived so far, the 7 billion today is 7 percent of that.
Doesn't it also depend on when you start counting, i.e. when you set the beginning of humanity?
That too: do we start calculating, for example, from the point in time when the evolution of humans and apes developed? Or later, at the stage at which the researchers speak of the genus Homo? Or only with modern Homo sapiens? Depending on which one is talking about the last 6 million years or only about the last 50,000 years. Since evolution is a continuous process, every point in time at which the beginning of humanity is set is arbitrary. The interesting thing is: Because only very few human beings populated the earth at that time, this does not play a major role in the overall view. Of course, in one case it would be a few billion more than in the other, but since we're talking about a hundred billion, and even this estimate is very rough, it makes no difference in magnitude.
The last 10,000 years are particularly decisive - namely the time after the beginning of agriculture. Because for the first time it triggered a large population growth. Back then there were around 5 million people - today there are more than a thousand times as many. This makes it clear that the vast majority of people who have ever lived have lived in the last 10,000 years.
How can one even determine the numbers from the past?
Essentially, by taking the numbers you have available - there were censuses in ancient times; the Bible reports about it - and then, to a certain extent, calculates it back. We know that over seven billion people live on earth today. A hundred years ago it was less than two billion. Population scientists can roughly determine how big the population growth was in each case, how quickly the generations reproduced, but they also know the great slumps - like in the times of the plague - when the population temporarily shrank dramatically. And so one can estimate that around 300 million people lived at the time of Christ's birth. And if you add up these numbers, you get around 100 billion people. It is true that there are more people living on earth today than ever before.
If you only look at the bare numbers, you still have to say: The “turnover” in people used to be much higher. Life expectancy was shorter, and with it the duration of a generation. Women had children earlier, they gave birth to more children - if only because child mortality was very high. But you have to count all these children who died early if you want to determine how many people have ever been born. For this reason, earlier millennia also play a role and not just the last 200 years, in which the world population has grown from one billion to seven billion people.
- Which business intelligence tool is the best
- Lick modern skylights
- Ideas are getting harder and harder to find
- How can I create OpenDaylight controller clusters
- Why are phosphates used in fertilizers
- Why was Annie a popular musical
- The word sibilant is onomatapoeic
- What are the causes of high eosinophils
- What are some other websites like thirty five
- Are you safe to trade stocks on an iPhone?
- How do oil filters work
- What is the latest news from Gujarats
- What influence do information systems have
- Why do we use QR code
- What is preferable book for IBPS PO
- How to treat folliculitis naturally
- Would you classify life as ironic
- What do you think about football
- Will my cat grow its fur back?
- Is SEO and web design the same
- Is the cervix and the uterus the same
- What is Malawi's people
- You can ignore an ingrown toenail
- How do genetic variations occur
- What is linear displacement speed and acceleration
- What does narcissistic 1
- Why is monkey not affected by HIV
- What are some examples of viviparous arthropods
- Why need neurotransmitters
- What is a taxonomic key
- How hard is carbon steel
- Kannada is the sweetest language in India
- How can I briefly describe a picture
- Kannada is the sweetest language in India