How do cacti hold back water?
Caring for cacti and making them bloom
Most of the cacti available from us come from warm, dry and sunny areas. In their natural environment, the plants have to survive longer periods of drought. This is not a problem for the plants belonging to the group of succulents - they store water over a longer period of time.
Cacti need a break to bloom
Cacti are particularly popular because they require relatively little maintenance and because they are often unusual in shape. But they look extraordinary especially when they form flowers. Some species only bloom for a few hours, some for a few days and some only at night. What is a spectacular sight in the great outdoors also works on the window sill at home. For this, cacti need a break from October to March.
Pour little and put in a cool place
Which form of rest is best for which cactus varies. For some genera (for example Melocactus, Gymnocalycium, Parodia) it is sufficient to limit watering extremely from November to the beginning of March. The cacti then only get a few drops of water every three to four weeks. There is no fertilization in this phase. The plants should be in a cool place. It is best to have a place with lots of light right next to the cool window pane, there should be no radiators underneath.
In the case of many other genera, it is advisable to move the plants to bright winter quarters with temperatures between 8 and 15 degrees. When moving, the substrate should already be dry so that the cacti do not rot. From March onwards, slowly get used to water and higher temperatures again by spraying the plants. If the cactus still does not bloom, it may be due to its age: some species bloom after two years, others only after ten or more years.
Water and care for cacti properly
The biggest mistake in caring for cacti is too much water. They do not tolerate waterlogging at all. However, the thorny plants cannot do without water indefinitely. It is poured - preferably with stale water or rainwater - when the substrate is dry. One possibility is to put the entire pot in a container with water so that the substrate can soak up. Then drain well so that there is no rot.
A special liquid cactus fertilizer is recommended during the growth and flowering phase. The substrate, ideally special soil for cacti, should be loose and changed about every five years. Be careful when buying: Some shops offer cacti that have false flowers attached with hot glue. That harms the plant, buying it is not recommended.
This topic in the program:
NDR 90.3 | Meeting point Hamburg | 02.03.2020 | 8:00 p.m.
- What's your favorite song from Khlaid
- Have you ever been published?
- How do you say disruptive in Spanish
- There is a consolidated but unprofitable industry
- Should I invest in wealth simple?
- What would improve the reputation of Lloyd Blankfeins
- What is marzipan used for?
- What is the difference between Oberlo and AliExpress
- What are soft messages
- What is an ACME fitting
- Burned the organ in Notre Dame
- Is the networking business really successful?
- Is CryptoInvests net a legitimate investment platform
- Maintains Russia Tulsi Gabbard
- Why can't soldiers take medication?
- How did your class clown become
- IGTV will be a success on instragram
- Which is the largest city of Nagaland
- What are scarecrows used for?
- How do you bake an uncooked cake again
- How is GRE for Indian students
- How does the Pinterest-related image algorithm work
- What is ILP in the TCS company
- What are the best astrological remedies
- Why are there Airborne Rangers
- What is the importance of inorganic chemistry
- What are similar films like Raazi
- What does copyright actually mean on YouTube?
- How does a mutual fund SIP work
- Who made the film Loveless
- What are the symptoms of benzene exposure
- Why are polythenes called polymer
- Arranged marriage that I'm happy with